Saturday, November 26, 2011

Book Review: The Fresh Egg Cookbook by Jennifer Trainer Thompson



The Fresh Egg Cookbook 
Author: Jennifer Trainer Thompson
Releases: February 01, 2012


Description:
The Fresh Egg Cookbook, author and chicken keeper Jennifer Trainer Thompson serves up 101 creative recipes for enjoying and celebrating the versatility of eggs.

From the perfect soft-boiled egg to French toast, omelets, eggs Florentine, and huevos rancheros, readers will find a wealth of favorite breakfast offerings with new twists. Local, fresh eggs bring out the best in classic preparations such as Caesar salad, spaghetti carbonara, eggnog, and homemade mayonnaise. In recipes ranging from smoothies to casseroles, deviled and stuffed eggs to stews, Thompson offers inventive variations for spicing up eggs and combining them with fresh seasonal vegetables for every meal of the day. She also shares amusing anecdotes about her own chickens and family life with a backyard flock. 

With easy recipes and tasty flavor combinations, The Fresh Egg Cookbook is the perfect book for any egg-loving kitchen (and especially one within clucking distance of a backyard coop!).

Review

It isn’t often that I consider a cookbook a “good read”, however when I picked up The Fresh Egg Cookbook by Jennifer Trainer Thompson I was immediately enthralled.  This is a cookbook that is captivating! Thompson has a beautiful way with words and her book is filled with stories about her backyard chicken experiences as well as amazing recipes, and helpful hints. She talks about the triumphs and failures that come along with raising chickens as well as loving any animal.
The recipes in this book are simple, clear, and absolutely delicious. I made a host of different recipes, but two recipes were my absolute favorite. My favorite recipe by far was the Mango Smoothie. The smoothie was refreshing, easy to make and it was filling enough to have for breakfast!    



The other recipe that I found very useful was the recipe for hard boiled eggs.  I love hard boiled eggs, and when I first started raising urban chickens I was excited about the prospect of having tons of hard boiled eggs!  However, every time I attempted to make hard boiled eggs I would end up with eggs that were pitted and impossible to peel.  I learned from Thompson that my eggs were too fresh.  She recommends in her book that you allow fresh eggs to sit several weeks before hard boiling them.  I tried this technique, and it works!  The shells peel off easily and there are no pit marks on my eggs anymore. 
I would recommend this book to people who love to cook as well as people who have no clue how to cook.  Thompson’s recipes are simple, healthy, and delicious!  

Find this Book on:



The Book Diva's received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley and Storey Publishing. All opinions are that of the reviewer. We are dedicated to providing our HONEST opinion about books, products, whatever the case may be. We were not compensated for this review.

0 comments: